Friday, November 12, 2010

email

Please note my new email address, effective from right now.

[UK Online, venerable small-time player based in Shepton Mallet, were bought up by Sky in 2005 and they've now decided they're shutting down the mail server, all the addresses are being junked. I hadn't expected this - I supposed it would be easy enough to just maintain a historic mail domain open forever, just redirecting it to another host. After all for many purposes on the internet people's email addresses are used as their unique identities. Anyhow, it's kind of a nice feeling - an enforced clear-out (especially now I've figured out how to switch PayPal across). But I'm bound to lose touch with some people and some mailing lists.

Another observation: an email address you pay for is not necessarily more insured against extinction than a free email address!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger