Wednesday, May 23, 2012

unknown Crataegus

In a day or two I'll put up my photos showing how to tell the difference between hawthorn and midland hawthorn. But in the mean time, a reminder of how Crataegus species can easily elude being pinned down.
This small tree was growing in a park in Glastonbury (no, it isn't the holy thorn). I had it down as Hybrid Cockspurthorn (Crataegus x lavallei)  but I've now changed my mind, because the leaves on the latter seem to have an entire margin and have numerous regular teeth.  These ones are almost lobed - like an extreme version of midland hawthorn. If anyone knows what it is, please tell me!



With a few of last year's fruits...


Grey, flaking bole. Try to ignore the horse-chestnut leaves in the background...


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger